❤ By Vanessa
Pumpkins are everywhere this time of the year! Butternut, spaghetti squash, Hokkaido, and of course the jack-o'-lantern pumpkin we'll all carve for Halloween. Today I suggest we bake a savory pumpkin bread, using Hokkaido pumpkin puree and our Bread mix with chia seeds.
To give that pumpkin shape to your loaf, you will need a long string (about 1,8m) which you will place on top of your dough. Then flip your dough over and cross the string on the bottom. Flip again and repeat until the dough is divided in 8 parts. A lightly floured worktop will help you for the manipulation (but don't add too much flour or your loaf will be more dense!).
Remove the strings as soon as your loaf is out of the oven. Add a pecan nut or cinnamon stick in the center of your bread...
...and enjoy! The Hokkaido pumpkin puree gives a moist and soft texture, and a nice mustard-yellow shade to the crumb. Bon appétit!
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 30 min (pumpkin) + 1h10 min
✢ 1 Flow Bake Bread mix
✢ 1 Hokkaido pumpkin (for 150g puree)
✢ 220ml water
✢ 10g fresh yeast or 4g dry active yeast
✢ 1 tbsp olive oil
✢ 2 tbsp honey (or maple syrup)
✢ Spices: Blend of 1 tsp cinnamon, ½ tsp ginger, ¼ nutmeg, ⅛ clove
✢ Pumpkin seeds or pecan nut to garnish
- Wash the Hokkaido pumpkin and place it in a large saucepan with a bit of water. Cook with lid on for about 30 minutes until tender. Peel the skin. Cut the pumpkin in two and remove the stringy pulp and seeds. Mash 150g of flesh into puree and set aside to cool down.
- Dissolve yeast with water, and add honey and oil. Stir in the pumpkin puree.
- In a bowl combine with a whisk Flow Bake Bread mix with spices. Stir in the wet mixture and mix with hand mixer (or in your stand mixer) for about 5 minutes.
- Place the dough on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and lightly floured. Form a smooth ball. Take a long piece of string and place it half way on top of the dough. Flip the dough over and cross the string pieces on the bottom. Flip over again and do the same thing until the dough is divided in 8 parts.
- Cover the dough and let it rise for about 1h.
- Preheat oven 200 degrees fan on. Place the dough in the oven about 1h 10 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Remove from the oven and place on a rack to cool down. Cut and remove the strings. Let the loaf cool down completely before slicing.