If you want healthy and yummy buns, try these fluffy sweet potato buns, packed with wholesome ingredients! The sweet potato adds natural sweetness, flavor and moisture to the buns.
Sweet potatoes are nutritious and delicious root vegetables. They are packed of carotenoids, due to their naturally orange color, and also high in vitamin A, that antioxidant that boosts immunity and helps you maintain healthy skin and vision.
Turmeric's main active ingredient, curcumin, serves as a strong anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. Together with they sweet potato, it gives that sunny yellow color to the buns crumb.
Use these buns as a base for your burgers!
(Recipe in French below)
For 6 buns
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 20 min + 25 min
✢ 1 Bread mix with chia seeds
✢ 250ml water
✢ 10g fresh yeast or 4g dry active yeast
✢ 1 sweet potato
✢ 2 tbsp olive oil
✢ 1 flat tsp ground turmeric
✢ 1 tbsp maple syrup
✢ Sesame seeds
- Peel the sweet potato and cut it into large chunks. Place in a large saucepan and add enough water to just cover the potatoes. Boil for 15 to 20 minutes, until they are tender when pierced with a fork. Drain and mash them. Let cool down.
- Dilute the yeast into 250ml lukewarm water. Mix in 150g mashed sweet potato, then add oil.
- Add the mixture to the bread mix and stir with a hand mixer for couple of minutes.
- Split the dough in six pieces, form balls and place on a baking sheet. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees (fan on).
- Make a vegan 'eggwash' with 1 tbsp maple syrup and 3 tbsp water. Brusk the top of each bun and sprinkle sesame seeds. Press them down a little. Slash the top of each bun and place to the oven to bake for about 25 minutes or until they sound hollow when tapped underneath. Leave to cool before eating.